Let’s face it, bongs and pipes are probably the most popular way of consuming weed in North America and the majority of smokers try these methods sooner or later.
Even though there are literally countless methods of smoking weed with a bong, they all follow the same principles:
- Put your weed in the bowl (the area that holds the weed)
- Light it up, wait for the smoke to fill up the chamber (also known as a stem)
- Inhale the smoke and get high
And, believe it or not, you could never go wrong with getting high off a bong by just applying this exact principle to every device. However, there are levels to everything and this is no different — small subtleties can go a long way.
As we’ve discussed in our “How Does a Bong Work” article, every bong is made up of 3-5 parts and one of the main parts is the bowl, a part where you place your weed.
Bowls are usually made of glass and metal and some can even have accessories, like screens (filters).
Other weed smoking apparatuses work in a somewhat similar fashion.
Pipes, for example, consist of a bowl, stem and a mouthpiece — it’s just like the bong minus the water. They are, thus, a bit unhealthier than water bongs, but they do provide a more potent flavor, for people who are into that kind of stuff.
But the ancient bowl-packing wisdom goes like this:
If you know how to properly pack a bowl, then you’ll be good with whatever smoking device you decide to use.
Here is how to pack the perfect bowl in 3 steps (use this as a checklist):
- Break away two small buds with your hands and put them on the bottom of the bowl (just to cover it)
- Place roughly ground weed on top (if you don’t have a grinder, read on)
- Press the weed with your thumb to make it compact (this makes it burn better)
- Use hemp rope to light your bong for the most organic experience